Monday, January 5, 2009

The 5 Times I Almost Cried...

What I have learned the past four days in Thailand, and through reading about the country, is that the Thais have a very “laissez-faire” attitude. What happens happens. It is what it is. Those who know me well know that I do not typically have that same attitude. I am systematic, I can be a perfectionist and I tend to overthink. I have found that my sort of lifestyle will not work here in Thailand—which brings me to the 5 times I almost cried when by myself in Bangkok.

1. Setting: Sitting in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport before my flight to Chicago. A woman comes over the intercom and lets us know that they overbooked our flight and would appreciate if anyone’s flight plans are flexible. Mine were not flexible. I had a plane to catch in Chicago to Tokyo and then from Tokyo to Bangkok. Then I panicked: I was flying on frequent flier miles. I was going to be the first person bumped to another flight. I couldn’t afford to be bumped because I had another plane to catch. Maybe if I plead with other passengers over the intercom they would change their flights. There was no way to contact the rest of my family in Bangkok. My eyes were welling up…”Now boarding all passengers.” Phew, now I could breathe—for now.

2. Setting: Bangkok Airport. I made my transitions from Chicago to Tokyo to Bangkok tear-less. There were bouts of exhaustion, hunger, confusion and amazement, but no tears. I got off the airplane in Bangkok and knew that my next step was meeting my taxi driver at “Meeting Point 3” or something of that nature. He would have a sign with my name on it and his name is Khun Kob. I followed the crowd of people coming out of my airplane towards, what I assumed, was “the finish line.” Then we passed “Gate 3.” Uh oh. Was it “Gate 3” or “Meeting Point 3”? What’s the difference? I didn’t see my name on any of the 6 signs held at Gate 3. I was on a moving walkway in the middle of a moving crowd. Goodbye Gate 3. Here is where I almost cry. But this feeling carries with me through the entire airport. Through money exchange, through customs (where another situation occurs), through baggage claim and all the way to the door outside. Now that I had left my driver behind at Gate 3 there was no way of getting back in. I am a short, blonde, American, idiot in the middle of Bangkok at 1 AM with no taxi driver. I just wanted to start sobbing. Then I saw it. “MEETING POINT 3à” Yes! I followed the arrows all the way to a Thai man with a sign that read “Alexis.

3. Setting: Customs. Let’s reverse back to mid-freakout in the Bangkok airport. As I move to the line in customs where my visa is to be stamped I have some pre-concerns. I know that Brittany had some issues here when she went through the airport. I also know that somehow I need the people to understand a concept that I barely understand: I don’t want them to stamp my tourist visa because I want my first 30 days “free” so I can do a “visa run” and use my 2 re-entries later. So, how do I explain this to someone who maybe speaks English? I got into line and then realized that the Thai woman was just almost yelling at the woman in front of me. She kept saying “wrong line” “visa” and “no.” Then I got nervous. She was not going to understand me. She would stamp my visa and I would not be able to stay in Thailand as long as I intended to. Tears were welling. I don’t want to be next. I stepped up, explained my situation in English, she made me sign something and, to the best of my knowledge, it worked!

4. Setting: Taxi from the airport. Luckily my Aunt Teresa had everything set for me upon my arrival to Bangkok. I had a driver who was looking for me and knew where to bring me. So it is now about 1:30 AM Bangkok time and I met the man holding the “Alexis” sign. We attempted to exchange a few words and then got into his taxi. Almost done with my 30+ hours of traveling! It’s an interesting taxi ride and the views are great…until we hit minute 35. I have no idea how far away my Aunt and Uncle live but I know they live just outside of Bangkok. As we near minute 40 I start to think that I should have made sure I was the right “Alexis.” I never made sure he was Khun Kob and that he was supposed to pick up Alexis Belisle. Oh no. He’s probably driving me to Cambodia. Actually, he is more than likely about to drive me away and sell me into slavery. I just traveled 30 hours to be stolen in a foreign country. Why didn’t I ask if I was the right Alexis?!? Mid-thought and when I was beginning to cry my “abductor’s” phone rang. He said “5 minutes” and handed me the phone. It was Brittany calling to check in! We got to the house in the next five minutes and I was safe, sound and ready to go to bed.

5. Setting: House in Bangkok, going to the airport again. After a day and a half by myself in Bangkok Khun Kob was going to pick me up again and bring me to the airport so I could meet up with my family and fly down south to Krabi Khun Kob was picking me up at 3, which would give me plenty of time to figure out how to check bags, get a ticket and go through security by myself. My bags and I were sitting at the door at 3:00 and there was no Khun Kob. At 3:10 there was no Khun Kob. At 3:25 there was no Khun Kob. I start sweating. I feel the tears. Time to call Khun Kob at 3:30. He picks up right away and when hearing my American voice says “I pick you up at 4” I respond shakily, “not 3?” He repeats, “I pick you up at 4.” Okay, guess I’m seeing him at 4. Then comes 30 minutes of my mind racing and hoping that I have enough time to make it to my plane. What am I going to do if I miss my flight? He comes at 3:59 and here we go. 45 minutes of worrying to the airport. 5 minutes of worrying while I find my airline carrier. 5 minutes of worrying in line. Bags checked. 2 minutes of worrying before security. 2 minutes of worrying down the escalator. And then I see them, my American family! Backpacks, maps and all! We have an hour and a half until our plane leaves, I made it and I’m not all by myself in Thailand anymore!

A common phrase that I’ve already learned in Thai is “mai pen rai.” It means “no big deal”…an oral shoulder shrug. I have already taken note that I will have a lot easier of a time in Thailand—and in life—if instead of worrying and being on the verge of tears I just think to myself “mai pen rai.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LEXIE,
Reading your posts make me . . .
a) miss you a hell of a lot more than I ever would have thought b) wish I was traveling with you, and sharing your tears c) think you should write a book in the first person and then dedicate it to me

miss you!
xoxoxoxx ~Nance

auntie rhonda said...

auntie rhonda. how scary!!! i could never have done that. miss you guys.